Tuesday, May 12, 2009

March Madness

March Madness 2009

Supreme President’s Report



March Madness is the ceremonial and traditional title of one of the nation’s most beloved college sports – basketball; an intense game ushered in by a fast and furious tournament of champions, men and women, small schools and large ones, private and public institutions all with the same fair shake at “THE TOP.” What a feeling! To begin something; to be inspired by something; to be encouraged, supported, uplifted, trained and tested. My favorite is when a small, often unknown quaint college goes up against a behemoth and every once in awhile that giant falls to the small team that played with more heart, more hustle, and used the skills of all their teammates rather than rely on one superstar; March Madness; a lot of games with a lot at stake.
Not unlike basketball’s signature event is the powerhouse of Official Visits of our beloved U.P.E.C. March takes on a whole new meaning……marching turns into running and running becomes more of a fast-paced marathon cross-country (or at least across California). I had the pleasure of christening March Official Visits with my neighbors; Co. #167 Artesia. A more stunning tribute of “Wonder Women” I know not, having been in the presence of Mrs. Neves and Mrs. Sousa – wives of our treasured Past Supreme Presidents. I am always brought to tears at the way my family is remembered by the angelic mother of Estela Simas. This is always a visit that my entire family has enjoyed from its inception.
I have been invited to and have been experiencing new and exciting people, places and things. “New” does not even begin to describe Newcastle! A historic hall tucked away like a secret garden in the hills of Northern California. There are not enough tables in all of California to hold all the food that was so lovingly prepared. No less than 11 loaves of homemade sweetbread graced the hall with a smell so sweet that one could drift off into a very pleasant fairytale dream. The members (particularly the men) lined the outer wall built-in benches pre-visit to give it the necessary Old West cowboy charm, along with an entertaining and ample auction to end the evening.
I had the chance to reunite with my “royal family” in Half Moon Bay. Ever since Past Supreme President Joe Vargas and his lovely wife Carolina took me under their wing as their Convention Queen in Millbrae I have had a love affair with the bay area. No wonder why I jumped at the chance to play on an athletic scholarship at San Francisco State University. All of my friends were there on such a glorious day in Half Moon Bay! It had just the right combination of rain, sun, and ocean breeze. The food was amazing (allotted special taste testing privileges in the kitchen by the chef prior to the serving – lucky me)! The hall was adorned by the famous plants and flowers that bloom like trademark- priceless art in the area. If it wasn’t for the fact that I was flying home I would have taken them all home with me (the plants and the people).
You know when you haven’t seen a good friend in a long time how good it feels to see them again? That was how the Vallejo/San Rafael visit felt – like a great big hug! I remember dancing with Fernanda Batista at conventions (always just assumed we were cousins; I’m sure we are) and planning my little brother Christopher’s betrothal to Marie Elena with Manuela. The membership keeps delighting with their gifts and talents; Emily Dutch, our very own State Youth Council Officer showcasing her brilliance by attaining a scholarship reserved for literally only a handful of the best and the brightest, enabling her to reach for the stars in all her academic collegiate pursuits wherever they might lead her. The Councils were so patient in waiting to receive me (do I have to wait until Christmas for a GPS?) but still did so with the familial generosity of visiting one’s Ava, emphasizing safe arrival as the most important thing. The entertainment had us all cheering, and tapping our feet especially along with the two year old dynamic dancer in the Portuguese dance group! The dancers were all of mixed nationalities and backgrounds and performed traditional Portuguese dances in handmade costumes. The councils voted on a menu that would be unique to the year full of feasts, and opted for an extremely memorable and fun family-style party complete with build your own ice cream sundaes! Really, if it wasn’t for my dad keeping track of where I had to be next, I would always try to remain in the Bay Area; I left my heart in San Francisco is true indeed, and the amount of shoes and socks that are piling up for Samaritan’s Feet is extraordinary!
Just when you think you won’t be able to eat anymore, Manteca fills its hall to capacity and piles your plate with homemade linguica. Loud and proud is the membership in Manteca, and how pleased, proud and honored I am to know the momma of our salesman, Joe Seamus- A strong, beautiful, perfectly elegant lady who always make sure I take home well-wishes to my mother and grandmother. Manteca is the spot where anyone who is anyone comes to visit; Regalia-wearing, policy-owning, Portuguese-loving people are in abundance in Manteca.
There are plenty of regalia adorning another set of neighbors just a few hours away in Bakersfield. Our Vice-Chairman of the Board and Past Supreme President Mr. Gary Dias and his wife Caron found the time to honor my rosary request in their home prior to their Official Visit. Our prayers were lifted up to our Blessed Mother after a delicious Lenten meal and the most touching display of the weekend being the presentation of Helen Sousa-Bryant’s very own rosary of exceptional significance to me by her husband and our Supreme Line Officer, Mr. Michael Bryant. That was a moment that words can not do justice to, and I am compelled to just give it the silent and respectful reverence it deserves. May she watch over us all as our Angel and guide us to a more heartfelt understanding of togetherness, teamwork and spiritual healing.
March Madness culminated with nothing short of March Gladness – a reunion with my longtime friends the Dias family in Fresno. Mr. and Mrs. Joe Dias and their fabulous family work tirelessly to extend their warmth and desire for fraternal success in friendship and mutual respect throughout the societies that I can only hope to love half as much as they do. They give of themselves in internal and external ways, tangible and intangible, never for a moment allowing me to feel unloved and that love extended to my Ava Parriera who I am blessed to travel with and even my boyfriend Thomas who Mrs. Dorothy Dias decreed that he accompanying me at the head table – she is never outdone when it comes to protocol, proper and pleasing presentation and overall hospitality. One almost feels guilty at the amount of gifts and charitable donations that come with knowing the Dias family and the members of the Fresno council, but once you know them and know that their contributions, gifts and friendship come from such an untainted, honest place completely devoid of any hidden agenda or desire for power, accolades or favor, it moves your heart to a point of knowing God’s grace here on earth.
Thank you to everyone who made March possible!!! My friends, family, drivers, councils, neighbors, helpful strangers, new members, old members, Angels, those who offered rides or picked me up or let me stay at their homes….YOU are in essence doing God’s work and may He Bless you with health, happiness and fraternalism throughout your life and the lives of your children and grandchildren. Until April, I am,

Fraternally Yours,



Natalie M. L. Batista
U.P.E.C. Supreme President
2008 - 2009

No comments: